Ruth Evelyn Shipp Yarbrough
Ruth enjoyed several media mentions in Durham
during her 50+ years tenure with garden clubs.
This image appeared in the Durham Herald in the 1960s.
Receiving the 1969 "Keep America Beautiful" award for Durham.
Pictured L-R: Helen Floyd, Emma Randolph, President William May of
Keep America Beautiful, Durham Mayor Wense Garbarek and Ruth.
Ruth (L) greeting HRH Princess Anne (R) at the "400th Anniversary of America" reception held
at the Elizabethan Gardens, Manteo, NC, in 1984.
- Ruth was a member of the Durham Woodland Garden Club beginning in 1961, serving as President five years)
- 1960s - Concurrently member of Margaret Brawley Garden Club after the Woodlawn Garden Club dropped state affiliation to GCNC
- Present member of the Daylily Garden Club since 2008.
- Ruth served as President (1990-1992), also served terms as Treasurer, Chair of Publicity; Chair of Hands Committee; Chair of Beautification Committee, and Parliamentarian from 2000-2017.
- Projects: Durham Rescue Mission Garden (1987-88).
- Ruth Served as District Director; Chairman of Nominating Committee; and Civic Development Committee.
- 30th President (1983-85); Executive Committee Chair; Treasurer; Finance Chair, Board of Governors; Chairman of Trustees eight years; Chairman of Advisory Committee; Chair of Investment Committee; Scholarship Committee member, Chair of Legislation, and Parliamentarian for six years. She is also a Life Member of the organization.
- Winner of the Maslin Award for service in 1987.
- Ruth served as Treasurer, Secretary, and is a Life Member.
- Ruth was Executive Board Member, 1993 Annual Meeting Co-Chair and is a Life Member.